Blood Bowl Orcs - Finished!

In my first post I detailed the Orcs’ initial steps: basecoating through the wash. The second post covered dry brushing and a few highlights. Today we are bringing them home! Here are the “Da Ded Skulz” in all their glory.
SquadPainter Games Workshop GW Blood Bowl Orcs Speed Painting drybrushing Da Def Headz Ded Skulz red Vallejo Game Color Humbrol Clear Finished

The drybrushing left some red here and there on the miniature, but since I ensured that my brush was very dry, it only dusted the raised areas. The ensuing highlights quickly covered them. It was a clever trick to drybrush the red first! The green skin was easy to highlight. The metal went on nicely. I used MicroSol and MicroSet to get the decals to lie flat (after I initially gloss varnished the panel that would take the transfer).

I scattered old-school sawdust style flock for the grassy pitch and dabbed little patches of brown gravel for interest. It’s amazing how a tidy base makes a miniature more pleasing to the eye.

I brushed on a few coats of Humbrol Clear Gloss (water based) to give them a hard candy shell. Then I knocked down the gloss with a light coat (or two) of Army Painter Anti-Shine. Perfect! Now they will hold up to the rigors of Blood Bowl play.

On the whole I am happy with these 12 figures. Any Games Workshop figure will have so much detail that it is hard to speed-paint them in a traditional sense, but using that wash and then subsequently drybrushing with red sped things along nicely.

Having a good strategy for painting can shave lots of time off of a project!


Comments

Popular Posts