Painting Dropfleet Commander - UCM Tutorial

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried to only use quick and easy techniques to attempt to achieve an above-tabletop finish. I think that I was for the most part successful.
Dropfleet Commander UCM frigate painting tutorial dry-brushing Vallejo Model Color
Here's a short tutorial on how I did it:

  1. Spray prime black - I used Armory Black primer
  2. Using my e.l.f. Contour Brush (about $3 at Target) I heavily drybrushed Vallejo Model Color (VMC) 866 Grey Green 
  3. Lighter drybrush VMC 866  1:2   VMC 870 Medium Sea Grey
  4. Directional drybrush VMC 870 - directional drybrushing is only drawing the brush across the model from one direction (e.g. front to back, or downward strokes)
  5. Directional drybrush VMC 989 Sky Grey in key areas
  6. Lighter panels were done with a few coats of VMC 870 thinned with water, then a quick line highlight with VMC 883 Silvergrey
  7. Missile tips were done with Vallejo Game Color (VGC) 011, then VGC 010, then VGC 009
  8. Lights were dotted in white
  9. Gun barrels were Vallejo Model Air (VMA) Chrome  2:1  VMC 866, then with pure Chrome highlights
  10. Engines wereVMC 883 Silvergrey, then a Nuln Oil wash, then a second Nuln wash in the recesses, then a drybrush of VMC 883
  11. Exhaust ports were black dotted, then VGC 021, then VGC 021  1:2  white, finally white with a trace of VGC 021
It seems a bit longer when I type it all out, but the first five steps are very fast! It's all drybrushing with a few dots here and there.
Dropfleet Commander UCM frigate painting tutorial dry-brushing Vallejo Model Color Hawk Wargames elf Contour brush
I'm looking forward to finishing up my UCM cruisers and then playing my first game of Dropfleet Commander!

                          

Related
Dropfleet Commander Scourge Tutorial







Comments

  1. These look great! I've just bought some Scourge models and notice in an earlier post that you said you use an elf brush for dry brushing. Is there a specific one that you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam! I think that you will enjoy painting up your Scourge models. The detail is fantastic! The ELF brush that I use is the Contour Brush. You can find it at Target for $3-4 dollars. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them.

      Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you like the UCM frigates.

      Delete
  2. Dear SquadPainter,

    Firstly, thank you for this excellent guide! I'm about to embark on painting (haven't done it in a LONG LONG while) my UCM fleet!

    Before I start, can I please confirm which ELF Contour Brush you used in your guide? I'm from Australia, so we don't have the ELF brand here. :(

    I have done some Google'ing and have noticed that there are a number of different ELF Contour Brushes - scared I might order the wrong one!

    I'm praying my ships will turn out half as good as yours - I'd be over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Minty! Sorry for the delay writing you back. Here is the brush that I use: e.l.f Eye Contour Brush. https://www.target.com/p/e-l-f-eye-contour-brush/-/A-13586149

      Delete
    2. This post shows my brush next to some Epic Rhinos and talks about some of my techniques:

      http://squadpainter.blogspot.com/2018/02/drybrushing-tutorial-less-is-more.html

      I'm sure that your ships will turn out great! Just remember: keep your brush DRY! Don't wetbrush those UCM ships!

      Delete
    3. Any smallish, soft bristled, rounded eye brush would work. Once you look at the pictures and see what I'm talking about I'm sure that you'll be able to find an equivalent one in a local store's cosmetics department.

      Delete
    4. SquadPainter!

      Ahh apologies and thanks for your replies! Better late than never! Heheheh.

      Yes actually, I managed to purchase an ELF Brush from Amazon it's quite small isn't it, the brush? The brush part itself measures around 9mm x 9mm?

      I think I've got the right one. :D

      I have started assembling some of the UCM ships - have you ever done any video guides in the past? I have tried searching but haven't found any.

      Speaking of videos - TT Combat really need to release a How to Play going over the rules etc. since the update/errata they've released for Dropfleet Commander! So confused about the rules. Heheheh.

      Delete
    5. Yes, the ELF brush is pretty smallish. The Contour brush is probably around 9mm. I think that you got the same one that I have.

      I have not done any video guides. Maybe I should some day. ^_^

      I think that if you poke around a bit you'll find some how-to-play videos. I know that there are a few battle reports. I'll bet that you can get some direction from those. I'd say to just take it easy on yourself at first. Play a one v. one battle and try to fly the ships around and take some shots.

      Have fun building the ships. They are great little models!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts