English Civil War Shotte – Mixing Green Contrast Paints

After finishing up the 12 blue pike I began another unit of shotte. I decided the main color of this unit should be green.

Different mixes and combinations of GW Green Contrast Paints on English Civil War shotte

As with the other colors, I wasn't convinced that the Games Workshop Contrast green paints would work for me straight out of the pot. They were either too bright and emerald-like or way too dark. I wanted a toned down green. 

Different Mixes of Contrast Paint Greens

The greens on the right were various combinations of CP Creed Camo and CP Ork Flesh. They were very, very close... but still a little too yellow-green. I wanted a blue-green. 

I decided to try one of the darker greensand mix it with Contrast Medium. Eureka! Mixing CP Dark Angels Green 1:1 with Contrast Medium was perfect! You can see it on the leftmost figure.

Dark Angels Green Contrast Paint thinned 1:1 with Contrast Medium on 28mm Warlord Plastic shotte

This was the green that I was searching for. Now that I have the color, it's time to do the rest of the figures.

After I'm done with this unit, I'll have 3 units of shotte and one unit of pike for my forthcoming games of Pikeman's Lament. Waiting in the wings is a unit of 6 Bicorne horse and a box of metal Warlord pike. I've never painted cavalry before, so that might be fun to do next. 


Comments

Popular Posts