SquadPainter's Year in Review - 2017

Happy (Almost) New Year! I set one goal for 2017: finish painting my 3,000 point EPIC Squats army. Let's see if I hit it...

COMPLETED

There you are! Ha ha! In addition to that I also worked on the following:
SquadPainter Perry War of the Roses speed painting Thomas David Zenithal prime
  • Dropfleet Commander UCM fleet from Starter Box COMPLETED
  • Dropfleet Commander Scourge fleet from Starter Box COMPLETED
  • War of the Roses Archer Retinue COMPLETED in the Base-Dip-Highlight Saxon Dog style
  • Learned a new painting technique: Thomas David's Zenithal Speed Painting
  • War of the Roses Archer Retinue COMPLETED in the Zenithal Speed Painting Thomas David Style
  • Frostgrave Soldiers - primed and some base colors applied
  • Space Hulk Terminators - five zenithal primed and base colors in progress
  • EPIC Heresy Death Guard Space Marines - colors sorted out and test stand successful
  • Made 60+ EPIC scale 6mm trees

On the wargaming front, I played my first game from the Battles from the Age of Reason series: Fontenoy. It was a great feeling pushing the exquisite counters about the map and knowing that I had successfully scaled that difficult learning peak.

SquadPainter TechnoBowl Tech!No? Bowl Pixel Block players
Even though my next achievement isn't about wargaming miniatures per se, it is about miniature men and a strategy game. I created 8 Pixel Block teams for Techno Bowl, a game that I supported during their Kickstarter campaign. It was a fun experience working with wooden blocks, paper, and Mod Podge... and the players turned out great! Don't think that this is just a dumb football game. It isn't. To quote one reviewer on BGG, "Techno Bowl is a carefully crafted, completely unique game that deserves to be given a chance by anyone." I saw a video on it and was immediately hooked. Do yourself a favor and check out this surprisingly fun, tactically deep game!
Teaching my son Memoir '44 board game boardgames for 4-year-old wargame
I closed out the year with a wonderful highlight: playing a miniatures game with my 4-year-old son for the first time. Memoir '44 is perfect for this as one can start off very easily and slowly add rules as you go. James loves it and has asked to play each day since Christmas.

On the whole I am pleased with what I accomplished, but unhappy that I did not do more. The focus on 2018 will be to increase production output!

How did you do this year? Leave a comment below and let me know.




Comments

  1. Great work Jeff. You have so many interests across the whole field of historical wargames, fantasy/sci-fi and the techniques to match. Looking forward to some great Craft Days and games in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael,
      Thanks! Although I appreciate the compliment, I think that I might be spread a little too thinly. Ha ha!
      2018 will be a great year for us!
      Jeff

      Delete
    2. Michael,
      I'm also interested in seeing what you work on this year! Have you made any goals yet? Your painting is getting better and better.
      Jeff

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts