Steel Fist ECW Figures look like 28mm... but they're 15mm!

I just backed Steel Fist's Kickstarter for their new line of 15mm English Civil War miniatures at the Nobleman level... and I'm going to be increasing my pledge up to Brigadier level any day now. The more I learn about these miniatures and the more I see how utterly superior they are compared to other manufacturers... I can't resist! I mean, look at them!
The detail of 28mm at 1/3 the price!

You are looking at 15mm figures. 15mm. Not 28mm. The horses are excellent. Superb!
The infantry are perfectly proportioned. Look at the faces! 

With their superior sculpting they will paint and take washes easily, and they'll look amazing lined up across from each other on a miniature wargaming table. A spectacle!

Wait? 15mm? A completely new period? What am I doing?

Well, it isn't entirely a new period. Way back in my infancy of 28mm painting using the Foundry Technique, my friend Michael showed me his 1644 ruleset and Bicorne 28mm ECW miniatures. I'd never heard of the English Civil War before, but his figures were lovely (painted by the esteemed Martin Robson, author of a number of books about the Age of Sail, as well as the excellent yet brief Shrimproll blog) and the pikes and the shotte and the horses... well, I just had to try my hand at it. I purchased a number of Bicorne miniatures and started out by picking the hardest color in the world to paint: yellow. I'm sad to say that shortly after that my group's interest moved on from ECW to other periods, and my efforts fell away.
I couldn't resist backing it!

Fast forward a number of years... and here we are! My friend Michael brought these to my attention and I couldn't resist. These miniatures are not scale-creeped 18-20mm figures masquerading as 15s. They are true 15mm. To the top of the head. Period. Which makes them all the more astonishing.
Look at that animation! My goodness.

I strongly suggest that you check out the Kickstarter. They've already hit their goal and stretch goals have been added (artillery!). It has a few days remaining. Order a pack, troop, or army and see what a true artist can do with 15mm.

Comments

  1. They smashed through their first goal, so it looks like we get artillery to order: a saker cannon and crew. Steel Fist pit it to a vote, and we selected Lord Hopton and Sir William Waller as the next stretch goal.

    Only £500 more to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Steel Fist Kickstarter is nearing its final 48 hours. All stretch goals have been reached, and a new one will be posted any moment. The money is pouring in and a final stretch goal is pending.

    Who or what will join the Saker gun and crew, Lord Hopton, Sir William Waller, and Sir Haselrig? Tick-tock!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts