Speed Painting - War of the Roses Archers

Here are my first batch of Perry plastic War of the Roses Archers that I speed painted using the Thomas David technique of zenithal highlighting and extremely thinned paints/inks.
Perry Plastic War of the Roses WotRs Archer Zenithal Highlighting Speed Painting Thomas David Technique SquadPainter Vallejo
For my first attempt at not following Miniature Mentor's Speed Painting tutorial I thought that they turned out pretty well. I'm sure that I could go faster on my next try.

It's interesting how different they look from an ink-washed/shaded/highlighted model... and from a basecoat/Quickshade/highlight figure. The transitions from dark to light are beautiful.
Perry Plastic War of the Roses WotRs Archer Zenithal Highlighting Speed Painting Thomas David Technique SquadPainter Vallejo
Also, using cool colors like violets in the recesses and warmer colors like orangey-reds for highlights make the figures pop. The bows turned out especially nice; look at the way the light appears to catch them near the top.
Perry Plastic War of the Roses WotRs Archer Zenithal Highlighting Speed Painting Thomas David Technique SquadPainter Vallejo
This was my first attempt, and it is obvious that I have a lot to learn before I get anywhere near Thomas' speed or mastery. I have a few questions that I'd love to ask him. But this was a great learning experience and I'm looking forward to doing this style on future models.





Comments

  1. They look superb, great job on these archers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! They look very nice on the table. It was fun to try a different method of painting and have the figures turn out as well as they did.

      Delete
  2. Very nice results; I will have to check out the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean! If you click on the "Thomas David" label at the bottom of my post you'll see a number of other posts where I used this technique, along with a quick review of the tutorial itself.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts