Polish 1939 Test Figure

Here is the first test figure from my Early War Miniatures 1939 Polish infantry. I only used Vallejo Game Color paints and I mixed all of my colors.

Early War Miniatures Polish 1939 20mm miniature SquadPainter  Early War Miniatures Polish 1939 20mm miniature SquadPainter WW2
I initially painted the base coat colors on. Next, I washed the figure with Games Workshop's Agrax Earthshade wash. Finally, I lightened my colors and dabbed on a few highlights.

Good
  • Colors were close to what I wanted
  • It was fun painting a historical figure
  • It didn't take long to get this result
  • There's an interesting, painterly feel to the miniature... Impressionistic?
  • He looks good, even though he isn't done (rifle, collar, straps, etc. unfinished)
Early War Miniatures Polish 1939 20mm miniature SquadPainter  Early War Miniatures Polish 1939 20mm miniature SquadPainter Tutorial WWII

Bad
  • The figure is too dark. Look at how light my fingers are. The camera compensated and tried its best to lighten up the figure.
  • The dark lines on the figure are too thick
  • The dark lines on the figure are not clearly defined
  • The face is nondescript
  • The wash made the figure a little muddy
I think that I'll paint up another test figure (or two) and see what I can do to improve. Maybe I'll try the base coat - Army Painter Quickshade - highlight technique?


Comments

  1. It looks good to me, depends on what you’re aiming for really. 30 guys of this quality on a table are going to look sweet anyway, but if you’re trying to improve your painting skills even higher then no harm in trying those changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment!

      You are 100% correct: en masse they will look great defending their homeland against the Wehrmacht.

      But, I am hoping that I might be able to use a different technique that will yield a better result in the same (or less) amount of time.

      It's also hard because I've been painting a lot of 28mm recently and I have to remember that this figure is only 20mm... so there isn't going to be as much detail... AND it won't respond to a technique the same way a 28mm figure will.

      I recently finished a few more test figures. I'll post pictures of them soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts