Speed Painting with Thomas David - First Figure

Here is my first attempt trying the speed painting technique championed by Thomas David in his Miniature Mentor DVD.

The key to this method is priming using a zenithal highlighting technique. Next, very thinned paint is wash/glazed over it in one or more layers to tint the miniature. It sounds simple, but you have to pay attention to how a color will appear with another semi-transparent color on top of it. As one would expect from trying out a new style, there were some hits and misses.

Speed painting tutorial miniatures Space Marines Thomas David Games Workshop

Although I had a few problems with translating his techniques from the paints that he used to my paints (the blue in the creases is too bright), there are signs that I am on the right track. In person, the figure glows with a beautiful light. The effortless transitions between light and dark are miraculous. I didn't take the time to finish off the eyes and other details because this was a learning figure.

There are three BIG payoffs:
  • You don't have to blend. The highlighting primer does the work for you.
  • You don't have to think about where the highlights go. They are already on there for you to see.
  • It is really fast!

Speed painting miniatures Space Marines Thomas David

I'll post my next efforts soon as well as some lessons learned.

Comments

  1. Nice - it certainly does look good, especially for a test figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Prufrock! It was my first time so I am sort of feeling my way around a bit. I think the thing that amazes me the most is that I did it in under an hour. Can you imagine doing all of that blending in less than an hour?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts