Plastic Soldier Company WWII Russian Infantry - Part Four: Army Painter Dip Applied!

Army Painter Dip - Medium Tone has done it again! These soldiers look fantastic! Normally I only do a couple of pictures each post, but these figures deserve more than that. I took them to last weekend's Craft Day and Will and Michael were impressed that I was able to have so many figures done so quickly and they promptly asked to see identification... as they are used to my normal, glacial painting speed.


You can see that the shading did its work. I brushed it on, coating the entire figure, but I tried hard to make sure that it DID NOT POOL. That is the key. If the dip pools when it is still wet, it will over-fill the crevasse when it dries and ruin the effect. Less is more it this situation.

Look at those figures! Every pocket is detailed. The cheekbones have a beautiful, subtle shading to them. The fingers are nicely picked out and the brown shade has knocked down the blue color as I had hoped it would.
All 57 figures have been dipped and dried.


A few of the eyes and mouths may get a quick touch of Games Workshops brown and/or black washes, but I think that may be it for the shading. 

The next step is to do the steel in black with the #2 pencil and then matt varnish and mount and base them on their English pennies. I might do some flesh highlights. I normally do that when I do my 28mm dipped French Napoleonic Infantry, but perhaps with the 20mm it won't be necessary. Thinking that techniques that work for one scale will work well for all is an easy trap to fall into. I'll probably do a test figure to see.

The prone figures took the dip very well. All of their packs and equipment are nicely detailed.

The paint on the figures is safe beneath the hard, glossy shell of the dried dip. As I base them up and detail their weapons I'll take a few more shots in order to track their progress all the way to the finish line.


Once again Army Painter Dip has made incredible looking figures with a minimum amount of effort. I can't recommend this product highly enough.

Comments

  1. I'm amazed, the flesh tone especially look really good. I am going to give this stuff a go, thanks for posting this up! (Your army looks great by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I love dip/stain method too - although I go with Minwax. Saves a lot of time/work and the results - well your photos prove that. A blast of Dullcote will make them look even more battle ready. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff

    You must show me again exactly how to apply A-P-D. The results here are fantastic!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen - I agree with you: the flesh tone did turn out very well. The Soviet army with their light, earth-colored uniforms made them a perfect fit for the dip!. I'm happy with the units so far as well. Thanks for the compliment!

    Dean - I have always wanted to see the difference between Minwax and AP Dip. Do you have photos up?

    Michael - Thanks! The key with the AP Dip is to keep a light, even coat without pooling. Every few figures or so I would find myself adding too much dip and I would have to wipe my brush and pull some off. The next time that we have some figures ready for dip we'll have a quick refresher on techniques. I'm looking forward to our next Craft Day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts