Battlegroup Kursk - Italeri Sd. Kfz. 11 & PAK 40 - Part 7 Airbrushing!


Okay, now we are talking! I just finished airbrushing my Sd. Kfz. 11 and it was a ton of fun! I roughly followed the directions of a YouTube video by Hamilkar Barkas where he recommended spraying your base color over a black undercoat lightly to give the paint depth from the get-go.

After reading on the Guild forums that Tamiya paints were the group favorite and that dilution was the key, I decided to start with these settings: 20psi, 50-50 mix of Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow and Tamiya Thinner. I blew it through my Iwata HP-CS airbrush. First up was a quick spray onto some paper to build some confidence. I was really excited to see how small I could make those lines! Okay, onto the model.

Sidenote: I tried to do all of this last night, but unfortunately the air hose developed a kink (that is code for "I packed it like an idiot") while in storage for three years and it leaked air. I had to wait until I could purchase another hose from the nice people at TCP Global / Airbrush Depot. With a non-leaky hose in hand (that didn't come out right) I was ready to go.

I went really light with the coats of color and probably took a lot longer than I should have, but I didn't make any runs or drips which was my primary goal. After about 15 minutes I was getting a good feel for the brush, the air/paint mixture, and the distance that I should be holding the airbrush from the model.

Even though the paint is a little patchy, I am very pleased with the final results! I think that I will have to give it another coat to lighten it up a bit as the photos are showing it to be lighter than it really is. The true color is somewhere between the last two pictures.