Victrix Austrians - First Stand Done!

The first stand has been completed! I have to say that I am very pleased with the results. To recap, this project's genesis began with the idea that one could get a quality result when painting these Austrians with only basic painting skills and with typical materials found at a game store.

28mm, Army Painter Quickshade, Austrians, Line Infantry, Napoleonic, Tutorial, Victrix,
No WN Series 7 brushes were allowed to participate. No eyeballs were painted. The only 3 step painting was done on the boots and helmets in a black triad (and they were slopped on). Everything else was paint/dip/highlight. Is this stand as rich and detailed as my non-dipped French? Of course not. But... could a beginning painter (or someone who just wants to save some time) have this be their result if they followed the steps? Absolutely.


This result is achievable by almost anyone. I used a huge brush to do the detail work and I didn't take a lot of time to go back and fix some of my mix-ups like I normally would. Having hundreds of these figures (and that isn't an exaggeration considering how quickly this painting technique works) on the table would look incredible!


This was a fun experiment to try and I am looking forward to quickly finishing up the rest of the Victrix Austrians that remain. If you have even the faintest interest at trying this out, you really owe it to yourself to pick up a box of these figures and have a go at it. Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Very nice work! In the right application Army Painter is a great tool. I've been curious to see how AP would work with the largely white-based uniform of the Austrians. Again, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work!

    I'm a convert to the AP style of varnish, although I paint mine on. I feel I get a better coverage that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have long been supporting the idea that the new victrix austrians are well suited to speed painting (dipped).

    I am glad to know that someone has finally done it.

    They look great! Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice painting & basing. You certainly put in a lot of nice details - like the emblems on the cartridge pouch. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curt, BRB - Thank you for the kind words!

    Rosbif - Yes, I paint on the dip as well. It gives me more control and I don't waste a bunch of it by flinging off the excess.

    Achilles - I was of the same mind as you. I was hoping that they would turn out well and they did. Thanks for the comment!

    DeanM - I was surprised that I could get the emblems done with the big brush. Once I figured out that it was just an "X" with a dot on top and the bottom filled in they started looking really good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts