ECW Cavalry Test Model Complete

I just finished up my Bicorne English Civil War cavalry test figure and I'm pleased with the results; the horse turned out better than I had hoped.

SquadPainter Bicorne ECW cavalry miniature 28mm

The First One... Ever!

As I was working on this model I realized that this was the first cavalry figure that I had ever painted. I start with infantry with the idea that I'll hold off on the cavalry until the units of foot are complete. Then something distracts me and I'm off on another project with the cavalry unpainted.

On my Pikeman't Lament project I've stayed on track and actually made it to the mounted troops.

Paints

I used Vallejo Model color on everything and followed many recipes from the 1898 Miniatures website, along with color combinations suggested by the excellent Painting Wargaming Figures book by J. Gomez. 

Wins

I think the horse turned out well, especially the white socks. The black armor also stands out... and it was easy: just a few line highlights. I'm happy with the color combination for the buff coat as well.

Next

Now it's time to finish up the other five in the squad.


Comments

  1. Your painting looks fantastic, the horse came out really well. A lot of people find painting horses a wee bit daunting but once you’ve done a few they’re pretty straight forward.
    As cavalry units take up a larger footprint on the wargame board you may find yourself painting more and more as the time/effort involved is very rewarding compared to mass infantry units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was painting the horse I found that I had to add 1-2 extra layers of color on the large parts of the horse: flanks, neck, etc. I also painted the model with the rider in place. I might try to have them separate next time... maybe. Thank you for the kind words!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts