Bicorne English Civil War Shotte circa 2006

While digging in my Pile of Shame for 28mm ECW figures for Pikeman's Lament, I stumbled across a figure I painted up a long, long time ago.

Early Beginnings

In the mid-2000s I learned about the Foundry Method for painting in the 3-layer style. My first attempts coincided with my group's interest in the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. It was an era I knew nothing about. But my friends were interested, and the Bicorne miniatures were fantastic, so I ordered a few packs and gave it my best shot (shotte?).

Foundry method Shrimproll Bicorne ECW Squadpainter

I followed the Foundry method as best as I could, but there were bumps. The yellow required 5-7 thinned coats to cover the black. I wasn't sure where to put the highlights. I was unfamiliar with the parts/equipment of the model. It took many hours to finish.

Accentuate the Positive

However, I was pleased with the outcome at the time... and now. I used Martin Robson's brilliant recipe for the face, and I really like the grain on the musket stock. 

It's interesting to see where I was back then and where my painting is now. I just finished up some ECW infantry where I used mostly GW Contrast paints. I'll post them up soon.


Comments

Popular Posts