Army Painter Quickshade - Before and After

Here are a few examples of using the base coat - dip - highlight technique that I have used in the past for miniatures. The miniatures don't look like much when they just have their simple, single-color base coats applied.
Army Painter Quickshade Before and After Dip Napoleonic French Perry Plastic  Skirmishers
Base coats applied and ready for Quickshade
Army Painter Quickshade Before and After Dip Napoleonic French Perry Plastic  Voltiguers
After Quickshade and a few single color highlights

Then the Quickshade is applied and a drab figure suddenly gets the depth and shading that it needs. The addition of some quick highlights elevates a decent looking figure into something much, much more.
Base coats applied
Perry War of the Roses archers before and after Quickshade Army Painter
Quick shade applied, but no highlights yet

I used to think that Army Painter Quickshade was cheating, but now I love it and it is one of the first painting options that I think about when I am tackling a new project. Even though I have been experimenting recently with Zenithal pre-shading, I still love the speed and quality of this three-step technique.

Comments

  1. Definitely an essential tool to have in the box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing wrong with shades. I dont use this product, but it gives depth to figures, especially if you highlight afterwards. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so-so on the Quickshade without highlighting. I can see where it improves a base-coated model. But when you add a few quick highlights the technique comes into its own. Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an excellent way to get good numbers with good quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is.

    I was skeptical at first, but after watching David Imrie work his magic with it, I had to try it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts