Pikeman's Lament Shotte (Almost) Completed

Here is my second shotte unit for Pikeman's Lament. They were speed-painted mostly with Games Workshop Contrast paints. It was my first time through with these paints on a whole unit and I'm very pleased with the results.

Colors Used

Warlord plastic shotte SquadPainter Contrast Paints ECW Speed Painting

Here's the color list that I used (all Contrast Paints unless otherwise noted):

  • Prime - Wraithbone spray (then drybrush white)
  • Skin - Guilliman Flesh
  • Socks - Skeleton Horde
  • Pants - Basilicanum Grey mixed 1:1 with Creed Camo or Wyldwood or Black Templar
  • Shoes - Wyldwood
  • Straps - Snakebite Leather
  • Apostles - Basilicanum Grey mixed 2:1 Contrast Medium
  • Coats - Blood Angels Red mixed 2:1 Flesh Tearers Red
  • Cuff Lace - Apothecary White
  • Hair - Black Templar or Gore-Grunta Fur
  • Light Bag - Skeleton Horde
  • Musket Stock / Wood - Gore-Grunta Fur
  • Metal - VMC Black, then AP Greedy Gold or AP Plate Mail
  • Cuff Highlights & Cord Dots - Wraithbone from the pot
  • Hats - Basilicanum Grey or Wyldwood or Snakebite Leather
  • Base VMC983 Flat Earth then Folk Art Asphaltum
  • Varnish 1x coat Humbrol Clear Gloss, then 2x coats AP Anti-Shine mixed 4:1 water

English Civil War shotte SquadPainter 28mm miniature wargaming

Minimal Highlights

I decided to quickly highlight the coats with a few stripes of VGC 009 Hot Orange. It isn't in these photos, but it didn't take much time and made the coats look great. Taking some extra time to highlight an item or two makes sense as these details sell a figure; it makes it look like I spent way more time on it than I actually did. Also, I finished up this unit so quickly that I felt guilty and wanted to add some finishing touches.

Anything with a lot of detail such as the shoes, hats, back of the pants, hair, socks, etc. doesn't need added highlights as the Contrast Paints already did the work for me. However, the coats are smooth, flat surfaces that need some help. The Hot Orange did the trick and took less than 10 minutes for the whole unit.

Final Bits

I'll dot the musket cord with an ivory color and paint in the metallics with Army Painter metallics next, base them up and shoot some more pictures.

Recruiting More Troops

My next troops will be a unit of pikemen. I'll use Contrast Paints again, but with different uniform colors... I want to try out the blue paints next.


Comments

Popular Posts