Speed Painting a Blood Bowl Ogre Tutorial – Part 2

I've been speed painting this Blood Bowl Ogre that my friend Will gave me for Christmas. In part one I covered the priming and initial base colors. In this post I have applied a wash to the miniature and have reapplied some of the base colors to bring the color back up while avoiding the recesses.
SquadPainter Blood Bowl Ogre Agrax Earthshade wash applied
The figure above has the blue and flesh base colors reapplied, as well as a light sand color applied to the eyes. I dotted the eyes with a darker reddish-brown color. I've also applied the initial flesh color over the washed flesh, being careful to avoid the recesses. By leaving a lot of creases around the face untouched I was able to give the model a lot of character. I'll paint additional highlights later as the face will be the focal point of this model.

I'm using Duncan's method that is on the Games Workshop YouTube page for a Human Lineman, except that I am using Game Color paints by Vallejo. You can see my mixing results on my recipe paper.
SquadPainter Blood Bowl Ogre GW reapply highlights Vallejo Game Color
Above you can see a lot of the colors and mixes that I tried while painting the Human Team. I'm using those same formulas for this miniature. Having a record of what I did before makes it easy to add more teammates later and match them to the original team.

The picture below shows the eyeballs picked out as well at the shading provided by the Agrax Earthshade. If you click the image twice, you can see how simply adding the blue again brightens up the model. It doesn't take long, and it avoids having a muddy-looking figure.
SquadPainter Blood Bowl Ogre painting eyes speed painting Game Color

Tragedy!

You may also note that there are a lot of fibers and lint on this figure at this stage. Unfortunately I had an issue where I was forced to restick him onto a new bottlecap as the Bluetac that I was using completely broke down and was getting goo everywhere. I almost had to strip the figure and start over. I was able to wrap the figure in paper towls and remove most of the goo... but it got fibers from the towel into the still-damp crevasses of the mini. I had to go in with tweezers and an X-acto knife to try to pick it out. Ugh!

Next up: the final details and a finished miniature!

Comments

Popular Posts