Polish 1939 Early War Test Figures Completed

Well... I went a bit overboard with my test Early War Miniatures 20mm Polish 1939 figures. It took me a few minis to settle on the technique and colors that I wanted to use, but I finally arrived.

Early War Miniatures Polish 20mm figures WW2 WWII wargaming metal text figure Foundry basecoated highlight black prime
There are a variety of styles here: base coats and washes, paint mixed from Vallejo Game Color, black primed, white primed, gray primed, Foundry triad style, and Vallejo Model Color paints. Each has its pros and cons. Some were just too dark (rearmost right). Others were too busy with the wash picking out extraneous details (front left). One didn't have enough contrast between the basecoat and highlights (front right).

The one that stood out for me was the Foundry style (frontmost with paint dabs on the base). It was clean, pretty quick to apply, and it looks good! I started with a spray of gray Duplicolor Sandable Primer. Then I washed the figure with Nuln Oil wash with a drop of black paint; I wanted those recess to go pure black. Next I applied my base coats with Vallejo Model Colors as suggested by the Flames of War Blitzkrieg guide. I applied brighter highlights than I would have on a 28mm figure.

The results are solid. It isn't as fast as washing the whole figure with ink, but I like how I can control where the folds are... if there is a spare nick or extra crease it doesn't show up. I only needed a single highlight to make the figure pop.

None of the figures are all the way done. I stopped on each one once I had a good idea what my results would be. You can see on the front figure I haven't done the pouches, etc.

So, it'll be the Foundry style for my Polish forces!

Next up: Putting it Into Production

Comments

Popular Posts